Logo Kanton Bern / Canton de BerneUniversities of Bern Counselling Centre


The term «Incoming» refers to students and researchers from abroad who will soon begin studying or working at one of the Universities of Bern or who are already doing so. If you belong to this group of people, you will find helpful information here.

The group of «incoming students» can also include student refugees, who can find detailed information in a separate section on this website:

  • Student refugees

Admission to Swiss universities

Anyone coming from abroad who wants to train or work in Switzerland can find all the important information (in several languages) on the Swiss education system and recognition of foreign qualifications on the «berufsberatung.ch» website:

General information on the Swiss higher education system and the relevant admission requirements for foreign students is available on the website:

The Careers Advisory and Information Centres (BIZ) of the Department of Education and Culture of the Canton of Bern also offer information on studying in Switzerland:

The counselling services for education and careers «ask!» have compiled a fact sheet on the subject:

Contact offices for incoming students

Members of the «Incoming» group can get in touch with the following contact offices if they have any questions, uncertainties or problems:

  • If you have administrative questions or specific questions about your studies or research stay, you can get in touch with the contact office at your university directly. The contact offices of the Universities of Bern are listed below.
  • If you have questions about your study, career or life situation, or if you have personal concerns, you can come to us for personal counselling. Our counselling services are free of charge and confidential.

University of Bern

The Admissions Office (ZIB) of the University of Bern helps with questions about applying for a degree programme, semester enrolment and other related topics:

General information on incoming students can be found on the webpage of the University of Bern: The webpage also offers more specific information for exchange students from Switzerland (e.g. BeNeFri programme), Europe (e.g. SEMP or Erasmus) or overseas:

The department «UniBE International» implements the central activities for the internationalisation of the University of Bern, takes care of the presence in the international university and research community and implements measures that have been decided upon to achieve the internationalisation goals of the university:

The international «Content Hub» of the University of Bern contains information for international students and researchers:

Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH)

The BFH examines on a case-by-case basis whether foreign applicants (with a non-Swiss degree) are admitted to the programme. You must submit various documents and prove that you have sufficient language skills. Ask the head of the degree programme about the procedure and the required documents at an early stage.

The contact office for incoming students at Bern University of Applied Sciences is the International Relations Office (IRO). It is the specialist office and support centre for international affairs of the various departments of Bern University of Applied Sciences BFH. It is also available for interdepartmental questions:

Students from abroad who intend to study at BFH should contact the head of the relevant degree programme at an early stage:

Please also note the overview page on the subject of «International study», where the sub-page «Students from abroad» is particularly relevant for all incoming students:

Helpful information can also be found in the «International Student Guide» of the Bern University of Applied Sciences:

Bern University of Teacher Education (PHBern)

The contact office for incoming students (in German) is the «International Office». It is responsible for PHBern's mobility programmes. These facilitate the mutual exchange of students, lecturers, academic staff and employees with partner universities in Switzerland, Europe and overseas:

In addition, PHBern also has offers for incoming mobility students with a good command of English:

Useful links can also be found on the (English-language) «International» page, where information is available for both the «Incoming» and «Outgoing» groups:

Various courses are available to prepare you for your studies at PHBern. You can find further information here:

For recognition of foreign teaching diplomas, please visit this page:

Share this page