Logo Kanton Bern / Canton de BerneUniversities of Bern Counselling Centre

Housing during your studies

Looking for a place to live often requires a little patience. After all, there is a wide range of offers and there seems to be something for everyone – whether you want to live in a shared flat, in a hall of residence, as a family, as a couple or alone. We will provide you with helpful information and links on the subject.

A satisfactory living situation can have a positive effect on your well-being and, not least, on your academic success. But the conditions for this are not the same for everyone. For this reason, you should first of all think about what your expectations and options are with regard to your living situation:

  • How much money do you have available each month?
  • Do you want to live alone or with others?
  • Would you prefer a hall of residence or a shared flat (WG)?
  • How near or far away from your university do you want to live?
  • Do you need a connection to public transport, a car parking space or a bicycle?

But there is no guarantee that all the desired criteria can be met. Nevertheless, answering these questions early on can help you find a flat that suits you.

How do I find housing?

The webpages of the University of Bern and the Bern University of Applied Sciences contain numerous housing options and helpful information specifically for students. Please visit the following links:

There are also several other ways to find accommodation:

  • Noticeboard, bulletin board
  • Newspaper advertisements
  • Private network
  • Social media
  • Housing placement service

There is a housing placement service for members of the Student Union of the University of Bern (SUB) or the Association of Students of the Bern University of Teacher Education:

Registration and change of residence

If you take up your own residence in Bern (or the surrounding area), you must take note of the following points:

Useful information on the subject

If you have any difficulties with or because of your rental property – e.g. of a legal and/or financial nature – you can seek advice and help from the Bern Tenants' Association (membership required) or from the city's rent office:

The webpage of the Federal Department or the University of Bern also provides information and answers to frequently asked questions about housing:


  • Financing your studies (overview) 

  • Cost of living

  • Planning your studies (overview) 

  • Part-time job

Share this page