Logo Kanton Bern / Canton de BerneUniversities of Bern Counselling Centre

Transition from bachelor to master

A Bachelor's degree opens up many new opportunities, but also raises questions. Do you need support in the related clarification and decision-making process? We will provide you with helpful information material and are also happy to offer you free individual counselling.

Bachelor – and now?

You may be looking forward to the end of your Bachelor's degree. But you may also have uncertainties, fears or at least a queasy feeling in your stomach. In order for you to be able to take the next steps, it helps if you ask yourself some important questions about the following topics:

A Master's degree is considered to be an initial qualification, even if some students enter the labour market for at least some time after completing their Bachelor's degree. This means that, in principle, you are eligible for a scholarship (although, of course, other criteria must be checked before you can receive a scholarship).

However, your options differ depending on the type of university. Not all universities, for example, require you to have a Master's degree for your profession. Instead, you may need at most a degree to be able to transfer to another university without any problems. Thus, the respective starting situations are different. Below you will find an overview:

University of Bern

You can complete both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in your subject at the same university (consecutive Master's degree), without any requirements. Or you can change university, subject and country and also obtain a Master's degree in this way.

More major changes are usually associated with requirements as to what exactly you have to catch up on in relation to your Bachelor's degree. However, you can also change to a profession, possibly take up a Master's programme again later or do a continuing education Master's programme.

In the German or French version of the study guide of the University of Bern, we address common questions that may arise during the transition from a Bachelor's to a Master's degree at the university:

Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH)

In most fields of study at universities of applied sciences, the Bachelor's degree is considered the standard degree and is accordingly designed to qualify students for a profession. Therefore, after graduation, many UAS students decide to enter professional practice.

Universities of Applied Sciences also offer Master's degree programmes with admission requirements. In principle, UAS students with a Bachelor's degree also have access to Master's programmes at universities, usually linked to the requirement of additional work before or during the course of study.

It is important to clarify at an early stage whether you are admitted to your desired degree programme or which requirements you still have to fulfil. You can find more information (in German or French) here:

Bern University of Teacher Education (PHBern)

Some Bachelor's programmes at the Bern University of Teacher Education are designed to qualify students for a profession. For others, however, you need a Master's degree.


Counselling and support

If you need further information or support in certain decision-making processes, you are welcome to contact us for a personal consultation – free of charge. However, it is best to contact the subject advisory service at your institute directly if you have subject-specific questions. The relevant contact persons can be found on the corresponding webpage.

  • Planning your studies (overview)

  • Career entry and career path (overview) 

  • Doctorate

Share this page